The Phoenix Model Flying Club has been flying from the same site in London Colney, Hertfordshire, for
over 35 years. We are a large Club with around 200 Members and we are primarily a fixed wing radio
control model club. Helicopter, multi-copter, free flight or control-line flying are not generally permitted.
Over the years our Members have worked hard to improve our facilities, which now include:
- a large Car Park
- a Club Hut with mains electric power, heating, a kettle (with tea, coffee and milk provided), a
microwave, armchairs, a sofa and even a TV
- outdoor shelters
- model stands and large model restraints
- tables with 12 volt power for battery charging
- plenty of chairs for sitting in the sun
- 5 webcams (for Members only), so that you can check at home to see what is happening at the flying
- live wind monitoring from our field available to view on a web page
- a McDonalds Drive-Thru less than a mile away (if that is your thing)
Our grass field is 120 metres by 100 metres and can accommodate most model sizes. IC and electric
models can be flown dawn to dusk, 365 days a year. Our field is suitable for sports jets - but members who want to fly jets must get a Club Jet Approval rating.
Pilots must hold a minimum of an “A” certificate to fly without supervision, but we welcome novice fliers –
our experienced Club Instructors carry out training sessions by arrangement. All Members must hold
BMFA Membership or LMA equivalent. We do expect all pilots to fly in a safe and considerate manner and
comply with the requirements of the Air Navigation Order and BMFA Safety Codes at all times.
Anyone is welcome to visit our flying field to view our facilities, watch some flying and chat with our
Members. Such visits are best made during the week or on Saturday mornings, as access to the site is via
an electric gate which is locked each evening, on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. When locked, a
keycode is needed to get in and out, and this is only available to Club Members. If you want to visit when
the gate is locked, please contact us to make arrangements. Please see maps and images below to help find us. The Geotag for our flying field is 51.716414,-0.262095 and for the entrance to the farm, on Ridge Hill (B556), the Geotag is 51.713181,-0.266748.